I decided to tackle McCall's 5731 for my oldest's Ren fest costume this year.
She picked out all the fabric and trim, and I started this project in late March/early April with plans to do the Ren fest this weekend.
I did the majority of the work on my lunch break (while coming home to walk the puppies), after work/kids bedtime, and a minimal amount on the weekends. It took just over a month from start to finish.
I made the bodice 2.5 times. The first bodice got burned when pressing out the finishing seams, second bodice I realized the design was indecently low cut, so I redid the front panel and rigged it up for the finished costume. The inside looks pretty awful, and is only halfway lined…
The hem on this thing… Really intimidating. I made some pretty stupid mistakes when cutting the skirt fabric, so none of the panels were even, and I think this is the biggest volume of material I've had to deal with, so evening it all up was quite a challenge. It's not perfect, but I think the end result is good enough. Nobody stopped me and demanded to know why her skirt was half an inch longer in one spot, at least ;)
Anyway, I think there's maybe 5 seams in this thing that didn't get picked and redone at least once, but she loved it and looked beautiful, if I do say so myself.
The main things I learned on this project:
-I do not enjoy sewing on a deadline.
-Search patternreview.com before starting (I would have raised the neckline fro the start).
-invisible thread is awesome!!!
The directions told me to hand sew all that pink/rainbow trim, so I did the first time. After pulling it all up to redo the bodice panel, I decided to try out the invisible thread and doing it on the machine, and it saved so much time.
– don't try to take stupid "shortcuts" when cutting the fabric.
That's about it. I'm tired…