I started this dress on Friday afternoon, and finished it today. It was fun to make, not too difficult, and I did a couple of things I've never done before.
Pattern is “Peggy Sue” by Kati Cupcake. I’m not crazy about the fabrics here, but Catherine picked them out.
Catherine says it’s her favorite of the dresses I’ve made for her.
I don’t have too much to say about it. The pattern was extremely easy until I got to the 2nd to last step and realized the back of the dress called for shirring. I’ve never done that before, but it wasn’t too hard to figure out thanks to the Internet.
The shirred back completed. I’m also pretty proud of how the ruffles came out (used gathering foot), and I like that I matched the ruffles to the bodice lining.
So this is kind of embarrassing, but this is my first project that I bothered to finish the seams, so that’s another new thing. I always intend to go back and do it later, then just dont get around to it. Most of the fabrics I’ve worked with just haven’t frayed enough that it’s a big deal, but that teal fabric on the ruffles was shedding pretty badly, so I decided to finish it right away. My machine came with an overlock foot, and it was pretty easy to use. It took a while because there are so many seams and because I decided to do it last minute, but it definitely looks a lot nicer on the inside, so I’m probably going to make a habit of it.
So, no complaints about the pattern or the dressmaking experience. Avery has requested one in dinosaur fabrics. I’d really like to try some of the designers other patterns too.