The lovely Ginger nominated me for 3 blog awards! That really tickled me to get a mention since I really only started this blog about a month ago (my older posts- I transferred over here from my personal blog).
I’m supposed to list 7 things about myself as part of this, so here you go:
1. My first experience with sewing was in 1989. I was in 4th grade, and my Girl Scout troop had decided to go for the sewing badge. I made a very simple straight skirt out of an ugly blue calico. My seams were terribly crooked, but I wore it more often that I should probably admit. One of my friends was in the troop, and her skirt turned out perfectly. I was so jealous at the time. I only recently learned that her mom make the skirt!
Aside from a few hand sewn sock monkeys, I didn’t sew again until 2011.
2. I am 4’11” on a good day. Through (mostly) diet and (a little) exercise, I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the past year and a half. Sewing has been really therapeutic to me in terms of body awareness and acceptance. Blogs and websites like pattern review have also been a wonderful positive influence because I can see people of all shapes, sizes, and fit issues rock it in self-created garments rather than bemoaning the fact that nothing in the stores fits their shape, style, or budget.
3. I sew on a Brother CS6000i, but I am hoping to upgrade in the next year. I don’t have many complaints about my machine, and would definitely recommend it for a beginner.
4. My husband and I aren’t “formal dining” people, so I claimed our formal dining room for sewing space when we bought our house. I didn’t pull out my machine until 9 months after we’d moved in, but it hasn’t been put up or gathered dust since.
5. My favorite color is orange. Red is a pretty close second.
6. My favorite band is the Old 97’s. I am going to see them in concert next month, and I am working on a dress for myself inspired by one of their songs.
7. Other than sewing, I really enjoy playing Dance Central for xbox, though I haven’t done very much of it for a few months. It’s one of my non-sewing new years resolutions to get back into it some more.