A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a new cutting table at Joann. It was a good size, and looked a little sturdier than the other cutting table I had seen there. And CUBBIES!! I snapped a picture and sent it to my husband- because I’ve been wanting a better cutting table and more organized storage in my room, and this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, for a pretty reasonable price (especially if I used a coupon or my Joann VIP card).
After talking it over, my husband and I agreed on a budget for sewing room furniture upgrades- I figured it would be enough for that table and a new fabric cabinet. Awesome!
Then Brooke, over at Custom Style, showed me a picture of her completely amazing Ikea hacked cutting table, and I abandoned my original plan for something a little more extensive.
I’ve been browsing furniture online for a while. There seems to be an abundance of ugly, expensive, and/or not optimal pieces out there, but since I had to go to Ikea anyway for 12 Lack side tables, I headed to their website and quickly targeted the Micke series of office furniture. I really liked that these pieces are just under 20″ deep to help maximize room space. The tables I had been using as desks were 24″, and I knew I wouldn’t miss those 4″. I also liked the variety of desk widths, so I could mix and match a combination that would best fit my space and they would all coordinate with each other.
I broke out excel, and started playing around with different combinations and layouts of desks that would still allow for walking space around my Lack hack cutting table, which wound wind up measuring around 65″x 43″ in my 10’x 13′ formal dining room turned craft room. I settled on 2 of the desks with integrated storage (yay! cubbies!) along the windowed wall of the room, and in the heat of the moment at IKEA, I decided a drawer unit would fit well on that same wall.
I ordered a new fabric cabinet from somewhere else, but I wish I had considered the Ikea armoires. I figured their armoires were like my old one- with no peg holes to easily add shelving, but that is NOT the case. If I had a do-over for that, I’d get something from there since their stuff seems sturdier and some of it is less expensive than what I ended up with, but the one I got isn’t bad, and is a big improvement on what was there before.
I spent most of the weekend building furniture and organizing. I even re-found some interesting things during my cleanout- maybe it’s time for a blog giveaway?
I really love how the room turned out. Here are some “before” pics:
And the “after” pictures:
The tables were pretty easy to put together, but stacking them securely was a bit tricky. I tried to do 2 dowels per corner, like Brooke did (yes, another link- because I love it so much) for hers, but it. did. not. go. well. I would up just doing 1 dowel, measuring 1″ by 1″ from the outermost corner to the center, and that worked pretty well. I used 5/8″ dowels, which are a bit bigger than the ones that are standard with Ikea furniture.
I hope you enjoyed the tour of my sewing space. I am super happy with how it turned out, but please don’t expect to see my room this “put together” in future pictures!
I guess I really have no excuse now to procrastinate working on my muslin for the craftsy fitting course!